UnityPoint Health Dietitian-Bariatric-West Des Moines Weight Loss Clinic in West Des Moines, Iowa
PRN (As Needed)
West Des Moines Weight Loss Clinic
Provides nutrition services to individuals as directed by Providers. Assesses nutritional needs, develops and implements nutritional care plans, and evaluates and reports these results appropriately. Maintains professional competency and skills required for professional practice.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Assess nutrition status of patient and, based on this evaluation, plans, implements and evaluates appropriate cost-effective nutrition care of clients.
· Perform RMR, interpret results and modify recommendations.
· Maintain ongoing communication with the patient’s referring physician and other health care providers to ensure continuity of care.
· Develop and implement an individualized plan for nutrition intervention in accordance with the patient’s medical program goals and objectives, nutrition prescription and self-management training.
· Assist patients in developing realistic, long-term health goals and goal-directed behaviors.
· Maintain accurate records of appointments for scheduling and billing.
· Provide appropriate documentation summarizing the nutrition care plan in the patient’s medical record.
· Weight management counseling and assessment.
· Food record review and nutritional assistance.
· Teach informational classes.
· Help coordinate the bariatric support group classes.
· Provide nutrition education counseling utilizing techniques that consider the varied needs of age-specific populations as well as cultural, religious, and ethnic concerns.
· Maintain current on diet fads and dangers, mental health assessment, work with counselor and physician to coordinate care.
· Manage HEAL program.
· Work with CDE’s for current diabetes self-management education.
· Maintain a high level of competence while applying current research information and methods into nutrition care of clients.
· Identify opportunities to increase patient, physician and community awareness of outpatient nutrition services.
· Prepare and deliver community nutrition education programs as assigned.
· Assist in developing and revising patient education materials, forms and protocols.
· Participate in planning and developing nutrition-related policies, procedures and goals.
· Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a major in foods, human nutrition, or dietetics; food service management; or Institution Management.
· Successful completion of a postgraduate or equivalent dietetic program that fulfills requirements for registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
· Must be an experienced and comfortable public speaker.
· One year experience as a clinical dietitian preferred.
· Experience as an outpatient dietitian preferred.
· Must maintain licensure as a Licensed Dietitian in the State of Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin.
· Must maintain registration status through the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons. Mandatory Reporter certification.
· Adept at using a computer for research and development of presentations.
· Able to write, read, comprehend and speak fluent English.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-82847
Street: 6600 Westown Pkwy
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Weight Loss - DM
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Wednesday and Friday 8-4:30pm and PTO coverage for other dietitians
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org