UnityPoint Health Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Mental Health Unit in Waterloo, Iowa
Responsible for providing safe and reliable patient care, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). Assists in the monitoring, observing, and reporting reactions to the patient’s plan of care.
• Collaborates with healthcare team to provide patient care.
o Consults with supervisory RN and/or other healthcare team members, as appropriate.
o Obtains instruction and supervision, as necessary, when implementing new or unfamiliar nursing practices or techniques.
• Contributes to the admission assessment process by collecting, reporting and recording objective and subjective data in an accurate and timely manner. Data collection is limited to:
o Patient history
o Home medication review
• Assists in the identification of appropriate patient care interventions to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses and maintain an environment conducive to safety and well-being.
• Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
• Assists the healthcare team to achieve the patient care outcomes and goals of care.
• Administers medications, including IV fluids, and performs tasks within scope of practice.
• Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
• Collaborates with the patient/family to anticipate steps needed to ensure safe transitions in care.
• Informs supervisory RN of any changes in patient condition in a timely manner.
• Collaborates with the RN and other healthcare team members to communicate progress towards agreed upon goal of care. Assists in updating the plan and goals of care to reflect changes in needs, under the direction of the supervisory RN.
• Multidisciplinary patient charting is completed in real-time to assure that goals of care and patient outcomes are being achieved.
• Completes hand-offs with attention to detail and with safety as a priority.
• Communicates with providers during routine rounding and as needed.
• Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization, including the overview of the plan and goals of care, pre- and post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures and discharge teaching. (Validation of patient learning at time of discharge remains the responsibility of the supervisory RN or RN designee.)
• Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education plan.
• Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
• Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
Minimum Requirements: Completed an accredited LPN program. Previous CNA/PCT experience. Possess current LPN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state. Writes, reads, speaks, and comprehends fluent English. Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic nursing procedures and the operation of specialized equipment. Ability to successfully complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training. Shall have knowledge and understanding of the laws governing licensure and function within the legal boundaries of their discipline. Complies with established department routines, policies and procedures. Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills with patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers. Demonstrates real-time EMR documentation in accordance with hospital and unit policies. Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Requisition ID: 2020-80466
Street: 1825 Logan Ave
Name: 2520 UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital
Posting Minimum: USD $17.59/Hr.
Name: Gen Behavioral Hlth-MH- Logan
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 3p-11:30p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org