Green Plains Renewable Energy, Inc. Laboratory Technician in Superior, Iowa
Green Plains Inc. is a publicly traded Fortune 1000, diversified commodity processing business with agribusiness, ethanol production, cattle feed lot operations, commodity marketing, and distribution services. We are a growth company and the second largest consolidated owner of ethanol production facilities in the world. Green Plains, through our wholly owned subsidiary Fleischmann’s Vinegar Company, also provides specialized ingredient solutions for leading food and feed manufacturers.
_Job Summary:_ Working under the QA/QC Laboratory Manager, follow best available practices and procedures of a quality assurance (QA/QC) program for the ethanol plant to insure maximum yield production and quality, while supporting the policies, goals and objectives of the company. Individuals assigned to this position will normally be responsible for the day to day testing and quality control procedures as identified by the Lab Manager.
_Essential Duties and Responsibilities_ include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Assists in implementing plant QA/QC program
- Adheres to plant QA/QC program based on best practice in the ethanol industry by sampling various points in the process and conducting QA/QC tests as required.
- Performs methanator-monitor testing and adjust chemical usage as needed
- Monitors use and inventories of laboratory chemicals and supplies.
- Operates, maintains, trouble shoots and calibrates laboratory equipment.
- Properly documents all testing results.
- Promptly communicates abnormal results as applicable
- Prepares reports, analyzes data and makes recommendations for adjusting process conditions to ensure that QA/QC standards are met.
- Collect and send samples to outside laboratories for assurance testing as determined by the Laboratory Manager.
- Maintains safety, health and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure city, county, and state and federal regulations relating to the QA/QC laboratory are met at all times.
- Participates in the safety program for the QA/QC laboratory, including representation of the safety committee as applicable.
- Assists to coordinate activities with other departments
- Communicates directly with production department to ensure effective participation by the process operators in the implementation of QA/QC policies and procedures
- Completes daily rounds sheets and monitoring
- Reports through Mapcon any concerns of safety or equipment malfunction
- Follows programs and procedures required to ensure laboratory and plant cleanliness
- High school diploma required. Associated degree specializing in science is preferred.
- Work experience and equivalent to two years experience in core essential responsibilities and duties.
- Experience with automated laboratory equipment (HPLC, GC)
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have expertise and proficiency in office computer software, e.g. word processing, e-mail and spread sheets.
- Must have the ability to work efficiently with computerized laboratory equipment.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- The employee must occasionally lift and/move up to 50 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to work near mechanical parts
- The employee may be exposed to dusty conditions
- The employee is regularly exposed to high noise environments
- The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather in all conditions.
- The employee may be exposed to chemicals used in the process
Green Plains Inc. offers competitive pay: a generous benefit package including business casual work environment, health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid holidays, Paid Time Off (PTO) and a 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting and company safe harbor matching. All potential employees of Green Plains Inc. will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening and background check prior to employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Requisition Number: 18-0167
Post Date: 7/10/2018
Title: Laboratory Technician
Employment Type: Full Time
Work Hours: TBD