UnityPoint Health Manager Nurse-Emergency in Sioux City, Iowa
Provides and coordinates nursing care for patients, participates in patient and family teaching and provides leadership when working with other health team members to establish and maintain standards for professional nursing practice in the clinical setting. Participates in unit-based shared leadership activities that improve the quality of care provided to patients and enhance the work environment. Assumes responsibility for nursing practice within area of responsibility. Plans and implements best practices within area including new initiatives.
Manages the Business Financial, Human Resource, Performance Improvement Technology Management
- Assumes responsibility for operational and capital budget development, monitoring, analysis, and
Effectively utilizes tools provided for financial, quality, and staffing monitoring and management.
Remains knowledgeable of Human Resource labor laws including those pertinent to hiring, FMLA,
short and long term disability, etc.
- Complies with Human Resources policies, procedures and processes in regard to recruitment,
interviewing, hiring, orientation, retention and performance management.
- Assumes accountability for the orientation plans of new employees and the annual competency plans
for staff; aligns plans with unit goals and desired outcomes.
- Creates overall plan and goals for department orientation plans as needed to assure successful
integration of the employee into the organization.
- Utilizes available tools and data to measure and monitor performance related to quality of care,
patient safety, and patient satisfaction; including but not limited to Key Performance Indicators, Nurse
Sensitive Indicators, Balanced Scorecard, HCAHPS scores and audits. Creates action plans for
areas needing improvement.
- Focuses on a culture of safety by proactively seeking safety concerns and promptly reporting and/or
responding to incident reports using root cause analysis and process improvement tools (Adaptive
- Complies with regulatory requirements of such agencies as Department of Public Health, DNV,
OSHA, etc. that are related to customer, employee, and environmental safety.
- Establishes departmental goals which are aligned with the strategic goals and plan of the
organization; continuously monitors of progress toward goals.
- Able to communicate to employees how the goals of the department connect to the overall strategic
plan of the organization.
- Exhibits an understanding of all elements of change management while implementing organizational
or unit changes evidenced by achievement of desired results of the change.
- Establishes an environmental culture for retention as evidenced by results of employee engagement
surveys and workforce data. Utilizes survey data to make improvements in the work environment
based on employee feedback.
- Establishes a culture of trust with employees through employee rounding and timely, effective
coaching and performance management. Helps team members set goals to optimize personal and
- Supports and continually develops shared governance structure in the department and at the
organizational level. Serves as a role model to staff and peers in supporting the strategies and
tactics of the nursing enterprise.
- Facilitates discussion on career planning and personal development with all staff. Works
collaboratively with staff to create and execute a personal development plans as a retention strategy
Serves as a mentor and role model for staff, students and colleagues.
Maintains a just culture.
Recognizes that differences among team members strengthens the team and is able to facilitate that
growth; acknowledges the importance of cultural competence in the workforce.
Responsibilities as Emergency Department Manager
Supervises Disaster /Stemi Coordinator performance
Supervises Stroke Coordinator performance
Supervises Trauma Coordinator performance
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to
policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory
agencies guiding healthcare.
Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
Ability to work independently and assume responsibility for timely completion of assigned functions
Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded
healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any
questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative
staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
- This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in
disaster response and recovery as part of the UPHDM Hospital Emergency Incident Command
System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until
additional support can be obtained.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Two or more years of progressing
leadership positions in the healthcare
environment. 3-5 years’ clinical experience
in the acute care of emergency & trauma
- Currently licensed in the State of Iowa as a
Current in Basic Life Support.
Current in Trauma Nurse Core Curriculum
Current in ACLS
Valid driver’s license when driving any
vehicle for work-related reasons.
- Must obtain NIHSS education within 90
days of hire and maintain every two years
- Completion of eight hours of stroke
education prior to the end of orientation and
Requisition ID: 2020-82696
Street: 2720 Stone Park Blvd
Name: 7520 UnityPoint Heath SC St Lukes
Name: Emergency Department- SLRMC
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 1.0
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Days M-F
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org