UnityPoint Health Linen Technician in Muscatine, Iowa
Receives, sorts, processes, and distributes linen within the Medical Center. Utilizes computer for ordering and inventory. Performs work of routine difficulty in a variety of cleaning tasks that involve use of hazardous chemicals, heavy lifting, and machine operations in patient rooms and public area.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Demonstrates Competence in the skills, (processes, procedures, and equipment) necessary to carry out assigned duties as identified below.
· Unloads laundry carts, sorting and placing in appropriate storage area
· Demonstrates competence in inspection, discarding, rewashing of linen
· Loads hospital exchange carts.
· Folds and wraps surgery packs
· Demonstrates competence in maintenance of clean linen par levels for all areas of hospital
· Maintains a clean and orderly work area
· Demonstrates competence in moving carts through halls and around the building
· Uses computer linen entry system & tablet
· Demonstrates competence in sweeping and wet-mopping hard floors linen areas.
· Demonstrates competence in high and low dusting in linen areas.
· Cleans equipment used in daily work tasks
· Maintains linen room and hallways in clean, stocked, organized manner
· Delivers trash, soiled mops, soiled cleaning clothes to closet for pick-up
· Communicates changes to any count to the customer or patient areas; makes changes in documentation
Will be required to use a ladder when needed.
If assisting EVS Cleaning Techs will complete an assigned task by:
· Wearing proper PPE
· Following proper lifting, pushing, pulling techniques
· Able to use ladders to clean light fixtures, vents, and change cubicle curtains
· Able to operate walk behind or riding floor scrubber
· Sweeping, dry or wet mopping public and private areas
· Properly high and low dusting
· Taking proper care of department equipment, cleaning EVS cleaning carts, equipment & closets and insuring they are stocked properly
· Will handle soiled linen, trash, and biohazard appropriately
· Able to properly clean assigned areas to department expectations
· Able to operate trash compactor and box crusher
· Able to clean spills containing blood or bodily fluids
· Able to deliver biohazard trash, pharmaceutical waste, and sharps containers to storage areas, label and tape boxes and prepare for pickup
· Able to clean hazardous spills as trained
· TECHNICAL / ADMINISTRATIVE / CLINICAL: Demonstrates competence in the skills, processes, procedures, and equipment necessary to carry out assigned duties as identified below.
· Documents linen usage
· Inventories linen and linen supplies and purchases needs. Informs Lead of purchase needs. Contact Materials Management in Lead’s absence of purchase needs.
· Complete repair orders, project work sheets, and occurrence reports
· Able to utilize computer to be assigned tasks through UPH interface system, check email, UPH Intranet, and benefits portal.
· Complete Daily Linen Order
· Reports work orders to maintenance or biomed for broken equipment.
· Communicates changes in the counts to the customers
· Demonstrates competence in communicating with patients and families
· Demonstrates competence in communicating with nursing staff and physicians
· Communicates with coworkers between shifts
· Communicates with customers to provide a safe workplace while completing project – verbally and through proper usage of signage; “wet floor” sign etc.
· Communicates with customers about the placement of furniture, equipment, and electrical cords during the project
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Linen handling or stocking experience preferred, Environmental training and/or experience in a patient setting, Customer Service preferred, not required
Must have knowledge of linen handling and sewing experience. Be able to accept, demonstrate, and perform new responsibilities assigned to Linen Department. Must be able to exhibit tact, good judgment, honesty, and high sense of responsibility when dealing with guests and peers. Must be able to read, write, and comprehend English to comprehend written and verbal communication and to service customers. Must have some knowledge of Environmental Service duties and responsibilities. Be able to accept, demonstrate, and perform new responsibilities assigned to the environmental Service Department. Must be able to use chemicals and to communicate with customers.
Must be able to operate hospital computer. Must be able to use a ladder.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-95202
Street: 1518 Mulberry Ave
Name: 6110 UnityPoint Health Muscatine Trinity
Name: Environmental Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 6a-2:30p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org