UnityPoint Health Sterile Processing Technician- Grundy in Grundy Center, Iowa
32- hours per week; Monday-Friday; Days
Here's your opportunity to join a high performing team! Grundy County Memorial Hospital is a consistent top performer in patient experience, recognized as one of the nation's Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals, and is accredited for meeting the highest standards for patient safety and quality of care. Come see why our employees have placed us among Iowa's Top 150 Workplaces for the past five years!
As an affiliate of UnityPoint Health, GCMH offers competitive pay and benefits, including the new Total Rewards Program!
Description of Position:
Responsible for decontamination, disinfection, inspection, assembly, and sterilization of supplies, instruments, and equipment dispensed by the department following established infection control practices. Must be conscientious with regard to procedures and capable of working under pressure and interacting professionally with other departments within hospital. Able to accept new ideas and learn position duties. Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities. Must be able to troubleshoot, identify workable solutions, and communicate effectively with the Supervisor of Surgery/Ancillary Services.
· Assembles all instrument procedure trays using protocol content lists as a guide.
· Decontaminates instruments, equipment & all other devices per manufacturer guidelines.
· Ensures items needing repair are removed from service and discussed with supervisor.
· Communicates effectively with all customers and staff.
· Sterilizes instruments, equipment and supplies in various types of autoclaves and sterrad machines. Loades autoclaves and sterrad machines in prescribed manner and sets controls to specified time and temperature according to the type of items being sterilized. Completes appropriate documentation records prior to sterilization.
· Demonstrates knowledge of medical/surgical procedure and terminology.
· Applies aseptic techniques in daily work assignments. Performs general cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, storage cabinets, all storage areas, and equipment.
· Maintains assigned work areas and equipment in a clean and organized condition to maintain required standards for the handling of sterilized and clean materials and equipment.
· Demonstrates a cooperative, courteous and dependable work performance.
· Performs other related duties that may be assigned.
· Demonstrates basic knowledge of equipment operation and maintenance.
· Demonstrates knowledge of infection control principles and Spaulding’s classifications.
· Expresses knowledge of chemical disinfectants and is able to access MSDS.
· Demonstrates knowledge of washer decontamination equipment and is able to function independently in the decontamination area.
· Demonstrates knowledge of instrument names and the care and handling of instruments, tray preparation and special procedure items.
· Demonstrates ability to access and utililize the manufacturer’s instructions for use documents.
· Demonstrates knowledge of sterilizing procedures and biological monitoring and documentation of the steam and sterrad sterilizers.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or GED.
Associates degree in related field.
Recent experience working with Sterile Processing and Surgery.
Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) or equivalent issued by CBSPD or IAHCSMM or willing to become certified within 2 years of hire.
Must possess and maintain current BLS and Dependent Adult and Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter certification as outlined per policy.
Must read, write, speak, and comprehend English fluently to read manufacturer’s instructions, sterilization records and all other documentation pertinent to Sterile Processing Department (SPD).
Microsoft Office-basic computer skills. Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-94111
Street: 201 East J Ave
Name: 2620 Grundy County Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 32-hours per week; Monday-Friday; Days
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org