UnityPoint Health Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist-Grinnell, PRN in Grinnell, Iowa
Provides patient reception, clerical / computer support, Urine Drug Screen collection, Breath Alcohol Collection and phlebotomy (blood draw), including therapeutics, services for the laboratory department under the direction of laboratory supervisory staff.
Clerical / Reception
• Performs computer operations and order entry duties using electronic medical record (EMR) and laboratory information system (LIS), ensuring accuracy and completeness.
• Faxing reports as appropriate
• Follows proper telephone etiquette. Answers the telephone, takes messages and directs inquires to the appropriate individual.
• Receives specimens into LIS
• Performs registration functions as required
• Scheduling drug screens, breath alcohol tests and paternity tests in scheduling system.
• Verifies identity of patient.
• Collects and prepares specimens for analysis or other medical purposes utilizing appropriate equipment.
• Accurately labels specimens.
• Distributes specimens for processing.
• Able to collect blood cultures using proper sterile technique.
• Able to collect newborn specimens, including newborn screens, using proper technique.
• Able to perform phlebotomy (blood draw) on patients of all ages.
• Able to perform therapeutic phlebotomies on patients.
• Urine Drug Screen Collections
• Breath Alcohol Collections
• Paternity Testing Collections
• Issues appropriate specimen collection containers to patients as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Responsible for inventory and restocking phlebotomy areas.
• Assists in orientation and training of new employees.
• Cleans and stores appropriate area and equipment.
• This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Hospital Emergency Incident Command System (HEICS). Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Graduate of an approved phlebotomist certification program preferred.
• Experience in healthcare field.
• Phlebotomy experience required.
• Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
• Able to obtain DOT Drug Collection Certification within 6 months of hire.
• Able to obtain Breath Alcohol Technician certification within 6 months of hire.
Requisition ID: 2020-81009
Street: 210 4th Ave
Name: 3220 UnityPoint Health Grinnell Regional Medical Center
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN - as needed
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org