WestCare Careers in Forest City, Iowa
Person in this position will be primarily responsible to meet with all Veterans referred for our Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program. This is a non-clinical position. It includes connecting Veterans to their Veteran Administration (VA) benefits or community health care services where Veterans are not eligible for VA care. SSVF Health Care Navigators provide case management & care coordination, health education, interdisciplinary collaboration, coordination, consultation and administrative duties. They work closely with the Veteran’s Primary Care Provider. The job requirestravel as neededthroughout the northern half of the state.Under the supervision of the Director, the Health Care Navigator will ensure adequate supportive services and care as a part of the Veterans health care plan. They complete documentation required into the Homeless Information Management System (HMIS) records as per program guidelines. They will ensure that Veterans receive health care services in a manner that is consistent with agency and operation policies, ethical standards of practice and that an individual service plan is established for each Veteran. Essential Job Functions include those listed below. * *
Essential Job Functions:* *
- Must possess excellent judgement and be familiar with the complex needs of the Veteran who requires assistance accessing health care services or adhering to health care plans.
- Must be able to identify and address system challenges for enhanced care coordination as needed.
- Be the liaison between the SSVF Grantee, the VA or community medical clinic.
- Will conduct non-clinical assessments to understand the Veteran’s situation, potential barriers to care, the causes and impact of such barriers on the Veteran’s ability to access and maintain health care services.
- Will work with Veterans to assist them in communicating their preferences in care, strengths, limitations, risk factors, internal & external supports, service availability and personal health-related goals.
- The Health Care Navigator will work closely with the Veteran’s assigned outside multidisciplinary team including medical, nursing, administrative specialist and case management personnel.
- Will engage in problem-solving to identify and reduce barriers to health care. Must follow the care plan to facilitate adherence and collaborate with community providers to maximize the use of Veteran’s Administration (VA) and community resources.
- Must specialize in case management and care coordination.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to travel as needed
- Coordinate and build relationships with referral sources from other agencies and institutions.
- Schedule appointments with Veterans to determine eligibility and accompany Veterans to their appointments.
- Attend scheduled meetings, speaking engagements and presentations with referral agencies as required.
- Increase Veterans usage/access to benefits/Veterans Service Officer (VSO).
- Build partnership with VSO/Social Services.
- *Work closely with Iowa Legal Aid to Assist Veterans. *
- Timely, accurate documentation of all Veteran records.
- Coordinate orientation and health coach educational services for all Veterans.
- Coordinate additional outside assessments, VA medical appointments as needed.
- Attend scheduled meetings within the community at conferences and other meetings.
- Provide crisis intervention in accordance with WestCare procedures.
- Oversee and coordinate tasks including but not limited to follow-up services and discharge planning.
- Embrace and embody the mission, vision, guiding principles, clinical vision and goals of WestCare Foundation.
- All other duties as assigned.**
- Not applicable for this position.
_Education:_ * A Master’s Degree with minimum of one-year experience, or Bachelor’s Degree with minimum of two years of related experience in case management and care coordination.
_Experience and Competencies:_ * Ability to work collaboratively with others in a manner that is pleasant and professional. * Requires mobility and physical activity, verbal, visual acuity and listening skills. * Requires the ability to work and cooperate with clients, co-workers, managers, the public and employees at all levels. * Requires the ability to work under stress and in emotionally charged settings. * Valid driver’s license and ability to obtain and maintain WestCare’s vehicle insurance is required. * Must have experience working with Social Services and Community partners. * Working Conditions:* * Work is primarily performed in an office setting and some travel required. * Some outdoor activities may be required.* *Essential Physical and Mental Demands of the Job The employee must be able to perform the following essential duties and activities with or without accommodation:**
*Physical Demands: * * Requires mobility and physical activity: Having an adequate range of body motion and mobility to work in an office, residential, or outdoor environment including standing and walking (even and uneven surfaces), sitting for extended periods of time, bending, twisting, reaching, balancing, occasional lifting and carrying of up to 50 pounds. Use of computer and telephone systems is required which includes coordination of eye and hand, and fine manipulation by the hands (typing, writing, and working with files). Requires the ability to defend oneself and clients in physically abusive situations through the use of approved physical de-escalation techniques. * Requires talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Talking is required to impart oral information to employees, clients, patients, and the public, and in those activities in which the employee is required to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. * Requires hearing: Hearing is required to receive and communicate detailed information through oral communication. * Requires seeing: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and at distance. This factor is required to complete paperwork for many of the employee’s essential job functions and to observe client behavior and activities in and out of the facility. * The normal work routine involves no exposure to human blood, body fluids or tissues. However, exposure or potential exposure may be required as a condition of employment. Appropriate personal protective equipment will be readily available to every employee.
Mental Demands*: * * Requires the ability to collect and analyze complex numerical and written data and verbal information to reach logical conclusions. * Requires the ability to work and cooperate with clients, co-workers, managers, the public and employees at all levels in order to exchange ideas, information, instructions and opinions. * Requires the ability to work under stress and in emotionally charged settings. * The ability to defend oneself and clients in mentally/verbally abusive situations through the use of approved mental/verbal de-escalation techniques.
Job Location: Forest City - 100 N Clark - Forest City, IA
Position Type: Full Time
Job Category: Nonprofit - Social Services