UnityPoint Health Pediatric Trauma Coordinator in Des Moines, Iowa
Under the supervision of the Trauma Program Manager, the Pediatric Trauma Coordinator functions as a clinical expert and care coordinator for the pediatric trauma service. Provides leadership for Blank Children’s Hospital trauma service through collaborative clinical activities; quality and process improvement; establishing/maintaining evidence-based standards of care; professional and public education; and research.
Key Accountability: Expert Clinical Practice
· Serves as a role model for expert clinical nursing through advanced knowledge of pediatric trauma nursing. Demonstrated excellence and input during trauma resuscitations facilitating high quality and efficient patient care delivery. Participates in the development, implementation, review and revision of pediatric trauma policies, procedures and guidelines.
Key Accountability: Performance Improvement
· Identifies opportunities for performance improvement through patient rounds, PI filter monitoring, case reviews and discussions with patients, families and staff. Conducts concurrent and retrospective reviews of medical records and the trauma registry to evaluate the performance of the trauma program. Investigates, evaluates, documents and follow-up on problems to ensure capture and loop closure. Participates in Trauma Committee and Trauma Performance Improvement and Patient Safety Committee. Provides follow-up to referring entities, hospitals, and EMS providers to give feedback regarding trauma delivery of care.
Key Accountability: Education
· Assists in the identification of patient and staff educational needs and works cooperatively with all departments to coordinate educational opportunities to meet those needs. Provides continuing education re: care of the pediatric trauma patient. Participates in teaching TNCC. Actively participates in community and statewide trauma education and prevention programs for the general public. Active role in planning annual Pediatric Trauma Conference.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
BSN or Bachelor’s degree in related field or direct and applicable work experience.
Minimum of three years Pediatric, Emergency, Critical care or relevant experience.
Current RN license in Iowa.
Current in TNCC, ACLS and PALS or able to achieve within 6 months of hire.
National Board Certification in area of practice.
Basic understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Knowledge of Quality Improvement
Demonstrated critical thinking
Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
Demonstrated leadership skill, excellent communication skills and ability to speak in public.
Requisition ID: 2018-49406
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Trauma Services- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.5
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Mostly Days
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org