UnityPoint Health Patient Safety Companion-Clinical Staffing in Des Moines, Iowa
The patient safety companion provides patient monitoring services through direct patient observation in order to provide a safe environment for patients
• Provides 1:1 direct observation (in patient’s room) to assigned patient to prevent patient self-injury. Maintains visual observation at all times.
• Participates in collaborative identification of and reporting of patient safety issues.
• Removes any potential safety hazard from patient room and reports findings to nursing staff.
• Promotes diversionary activities as necessary and appropriate
• Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality
• Demonstrates understanding and proficient use of patient monitoring software while functioning as a remote monitoring technician.
• Documents proof of observation on suicide precautions and other safety protocols
• Assists patient with Activities of Daily Living in accordance with job training and in collaboration with health care team. Nursing staff must be notified if patient lifting is required.
• Notifies assigned nursing and support staff on assigned area immediately in case of emergency, or as needed to provide patient care on a routine basis.
• Seeks assistance immediately when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others
• Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patient when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment.
• Notifies nursing and support staff to assist with other necessary activities (toileting, ambulation, etc)
• Coordinates meal and break times with team members and informs team prior to leaving patient room for any reason.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Previous health care experience preferred.
• Must possess and maintain valid Basic Life Support (BLS) or obtain certification within three (3) months.
• Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work related reasons.
• Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
• Multicultural sensitivity.
• Ability to respond appropriately to patient/co-worker
• Maintain confidential information.
Requisition ID: 2021-92455
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Clinical Staffing
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.6
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Nights 11pm-7am with every third weekend - 24 hours/week
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org