UnityPoint Health Dosimetrist-Physics in Des Moines, Iowa
The medical dosimetrist is responsible for the treatment planning and implementation of radiation therapy procedures in the radiation oncology department under the direction of the radiation oncologist and the medical physicist and in accordance with the policies and procedures of the radiation oncology department and UPH. The dosimetrist effectively works with patients, hospital staff, physicists and physicians and demonstrates written and verbal communication skills while utilizing a holistic approach considering physical, psychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served.
• Performs tumor localization procedures according to the physician’s treatment plan and department policy.
• Accurately imports treatment planning data and dose calculations before beginning treatment.
• Completes computer treatment planning on patients as required by the physician. Builds special treatment devices and aids such as beam shaping blocks and immobilization devices and checks them for accuracy.
• Exhibits effective verbal and written communication/documentation with all staff, physicians and patients according to the departmental and hospital policies.
• Works extended hours when it is necessary.
• Orients radiology students to radiation therapy and dosimetry.
• Performs QA procedures for IMRT/SRS/SBRT.
• Performs SRS treatment duties as necessary.
• Attends QA meetings, therapist meetings, staffing meetings, in-services, and other pertinent meetings of the department.
• Performs IMRT QA as directed by the physicist.
• Assists CT simulation and CT guided tumor localization and contouring. (Enters appropriate treatment data into the record and verify system.)
• Conducts weekly chart review conference and records and reports changes that need to be made for treatment field localization.
• Bills appropriately for services rendered at the specified time frame.
• Assists in operating room procedures as directed.
• Orders radionuclides.
• Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
• Balance team and individual responsibilities; be a team player; be open and objective to others’ views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
• Demonstrates the ability to meet the department work schedule.
• Performs duties other than described as requested or assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in the physical sciences preferred.
Experience: New graduates are eligible for consideration. 3 years clinical experience in Medical Dosimetry preferred. IMRT, IGRT, SRS, SRBT, and HDR experience preferred.
License(s)/Certification(s): Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons. Member of the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB) (or equivalent) certification or board eligible. Must be an ARRT registered in radiation therapy and maintain a current Iowa Permit to Practice in Radiation Therapy. Must maintain BLS certification.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Microsoft Excel. Problem solving and communication. Teamwork.
Requisition ID: 2020-81318
Street: 1221 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Posting Minimum: USD $41.12/Hr.
Name: Physics- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 1.0
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: days
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org