UnityPoint Health Assistant Accountant-Health Foundation in Des Moines, Iowa
The Assistant Accountant performs financial support duties for the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Foundation, in collaboration with the UnityPoint Health Center for Philanthropic Excellence (CPE), in support of the fundraising efforts of the Foundation as well as the Gift Shops/Not New Shop and Iowa Lutheran Hospital Auxiliary. Provides administrative support duties for others as needed as well as event support.
% of Time
Financial support, basic accounting, and bookkeeping duties, in support of the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Foundation’s mission:
· Process donations, pledge reminders, and acknowledgement letters for tribute gifts.
· Provide financial (deposits, monthly reports, accounts payable, bank account reconciliation, etc.) and inventory support for the Gift Shops and Not New Shop.
· Provide financial support for the ILH Auxiliary in partnership with its Treasurer.
· Serve as Gift Shop and Not New Shop point of sale system back-up administrator.
· Balance all payroll deductions.
· Reconcile bank statements.
· Secondary support for capital campaigns.
· Secondary support for Employee Giving Campaign.
· Assist with address changes and list management responsibilities of donor/prospect database as needed.
· Back up support for the Executive Assistant.
· Coordinate database of in-kind donations and receipt letters.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed expectations through attention to detail and organization.
· Demonstrate the ability to meet the department work schedule.
Support for special events (Festival of Trees & Lights, Rally Against Cancer, Westerberg-Coskery, Hops for Hospice, donor recognition, and TWIGS):
· Provide financial support related to events – sponsorships, tickets, in-kind donations, auction item donations, etc.
· Maintain accurate RSVP lists, cash boxes, credit card processing, event supplies, etc.
· Coordinate event check-in and check-out processes, including accepting donations.
· Provide support for the web-based donation and RSVP tools including creation of forms, coordination of donations, tracking of donors, etc.
· Secondary support for query and report donor recognition lists.
· Attend donor events as appropriate.
· Coordinate other event projects as needed.
Secondary support for donor database integrity:
· Perform data entry, and gift receipting process in collaboration with the CPE.
· Secondary support for adding and updating donor demographic information, including mailing addresses, new addresses, seasonal addresses, deceased, new donors, attribute updating, solicitor portfolio classifications.
· Run simple queries, lists, reports as requested.
· Primary support to the CPE for mailing donor receipts letters.
· Perform other duties as requested by supervisor to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the department.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding health care.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded health care programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect.
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Preferred or Specialized
High school education required. 2-year college degree or comparable work experience in accounting required
Bachelor’s degree in accounting
2-3 years of bookkeeping/accounting experience. Familiarity with office procedures and previous bookkeeping experience required.
Experience in health care related finance is preferred. Experience working with volunteers preferred.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Knowledge of rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation is essential.
· Must be able to key a minimum of 60 words per minute, operate 10-key adding machine efficiently by touch
· Must have knowledge of general accounting, financial statement presentations, and statistical presentation necessary to support the financial reporting.
· Knowledgeable on personal computers and spreadsheet software.
· Possesses excellent written and verbal communications.
· Ability to work as a team member, creating and maintaining effective working relationships.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-94740
Street: 1415 Woodland Ave
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Foundation Admin
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: M-F, 8AM-4:30PM; 40 hrs/wk
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org