Google Data Center Technician, Technical Infrastructure in Council Bluffs, Iowa
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Technician, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also tackle the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
You install, configure, test and troubleshoot hardware (servers and components) and server software. You also manually move and install racks and servers.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Contribute to the team leading efforts/projects in the deployment, maintenance and support of new and existing data center infrastructure.
- Install and maintain switches, routers and other large scale networking equipment, troubleshooting common failures in networking hardware and cabling and resolving critical or escalated technical issues regarding affected equipment.
- Diagnose and repair broken servers, replace storage media, replace bad sticks of RAM, etc.
- Configure and troubleshoot operating systems related issues on our servers.
- Complete simple tasks when provided specific guidelines using existing scripts and making minor modifications to existing scripts for changes in parameters.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Level 1 networking certification (e.g., Net+, JNCIA, CCNA, LPIC, Linux+) or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to lift/move 25kg/55lbs of equipment as required. Ability to exert yourself physically over extended periods of time, including frequent bending, kneeling, climbing, pushing/pulling and lifting.
- Ability to work non-standard hours, including working weekends, holidays and on shift-based schedules as required.
- Experience working with and troubleshooting hardware/network related issues using Linux based tools.
- Understanding of basic OS, PC hardware and networking concepts, tools and protocols.
- Ability to understand and to effectively execute verbal and written instructions.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.