Shermco Industries Senior Protection and Control Relay Technician in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Since 1974, Shermco has become North America’s largest and fastest growing NETA-accredited electrical testing organization. Our focus is to make sure electrical power systems are functioning properly and safely. Add to that our Professional Engineering Group, Rotating Machinery Division, Renewable Energy Services, and Field Repair and local Repair Service Centers, places Shermco in a position to handle all things electrical. All done with an emphasis on safety and client service. That’s why we say… if it’s in the electrical power system, Shermco does it.
Backed by Gryphon Investors, a leading private equity firm focused on profitably growing and competitively enhancing middle-market companies in partnership with experienced management, Shermco is poised for the next decade and beyond.
SENIOR PROTECTION & CONTROL RELAY TECHNICIANS
Shermco, the leader in Electrical Transmission and Distribution testing & maintenance, has won several multi-year, large projects resulting in an immediate need for qualified and experienced P&C Relay Technician in the Midwest region based out of Cedar Rapids, IA.
Job Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Perform installation, commissioning, testing and maintenance of protective relaying equipment, relaying schemes, DFR equipment, SCADA systems, distribution automation systems and associated communication equipment.
- Perform function testing of substation control circuits on relay panel, transformers & circuit breaker changeouts.
- Perform end-to-end relay testing using Doble ProTesT software to verify carrier and fiber systems.
- Perform electro-mechanical relay testing of GE, Westinghouse, ITE, etc.
- Perform solid state relay testing of Schweitzer, Basler, Multilin, SEL, Beckwith, Circuit Shield, Arreva, Schneider, etc.
- Read and interpret control prints, writing diagrams, and relaying schematics.
- Conduct differential and distance relay testing.
- Assist in developing written standard commissioning, testing and maintenance procedures for protective relaying, DFR's, RTU's, IED's, Distribution Automation and associated communication systems.
- Manage projects onsite throughout the duration and effectively interface and own the relationship with customers and their vendors
Minimum Qualifications _to qualify for consideration, you _must meet each of the following minimum qualifications and requirements:
- Must be willing and able to travel and work at project sites from several weeks to several months at a time.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; prefer training from technical school, apprenticeship, armed services or Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Technology.
- Experience and training as an Army Prime Power Production Specialist (52E, 21P, or 12P) highly desirable.
- 5+ years related experience in the areas of transmission line and substation protective relay control system and SCADA/Automation checkout, installation, testing and trouble-shooting; an equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Must have testing skills and understand fundamental electrical testing procedures.
- Need to have knowledge of differential and phase angles.
- Experience with RTS or Protest relaying testing software desirable.
- Understand three phase power and phase angles.
- Must have ability to use Doble 6150, 2253 & 2250 and Megger MPRT & EZ CT 2000.
- Must be able to demonstrate SAFE electrical troubleshooting skills using basic and advanced test equipment.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic, unannounced random drug tests.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and currently have and be able to maintain a good driving record.
- If applying for position, must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).
- Ability to work regularly in the field exposed to all seasonal elements.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Must be willing to travel; minimum 40%.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER | DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Shermco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Shermco is a drug-free workplace.
_NO AGENCIES PLEASE_
No Agencies Please. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Shermco from a third party, such as an Agency, including unsolicited resumes sent to Shermco mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Shermco System Integration employees, or to Shermco System Integration resume database will be considered Shermco property. Shermco will not pay a fee for any placement