Raytheon Technologies Senior Engineering Manager - Communications Hardware Design in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
United States of America
HIA32: Cedar Rapids, IA 400 Collins Rd NE
, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-0505 USA
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers’ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Do you want to lead an innovative team that designs and supports hardware for software defined radios used in aviation and defense? How about a position where you can tackle engineering challenges every day and gain broad exposure to the complete product life-cycle? Are you looking for an opportunity to build a strong personal network while working closely with external suppliers, production lines, and service centers to implement your team’s solutions?
This position is responsible for managing hardware development and test, project execution, and sustainment engineering for all Comm/Datalinks programs for Collins Aerospace.
A successful candidate will have working knowledge of and leadership skills in hardware development engineering fundamentals, with awareness of working with software, firmware,and systems engineering teams. The candidate will demonstrate proven ability to guide and lead development processes, will develop the team composition, and will be responsible for training. The candidate will also have the ability to work with local and remote teams to develop proven design approaches, detailed requirements, and project artifacts. Extensive experience in all development phases from concept, proposal, Preliminary Design (PDR), Critical Design (CDR), verification and validation testing, factory transition/support, and product deliveries are required. The candidate will demonstrate the ability to matrix multiple programs, development tasks and coordination, while supporting the various projects’ objectives of cost and schedule to assure defined requirements are consistently met in all phases of a product's lifecycle. Familiarity with Software Defined Radios (SDRs), networking waveforms, and communications network architectures is preferred in the role.
• Primary role is to lead a design engineering team in new product developments. • Candidate will work directly with and/or manage daily activities of hardware design engineers, project engineering, program management, and supporting organizations to develop advanced design to support SDR (Software Defined Radio) architectures. • Responsibilities include project execution direction to the engineering team. • Candidate must demonstrate sound decision making skills, communication skills, networking skills, and accurately forecast project work and costs.
• Candidate will lead the team using strong interaction, interpersonal, problem solving, mentoring and negotiating skills, and will be responsible for managing project risks/issues, elevating to upper management when appropriate.
• Candidate will be responsible for adhering to, and supporting Collins Aerospace process methodologies while developing and managing commitments to meeting project cost, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Candidate will lead hardware design engineers and will coordinate requirements identification, development, and acceptance testing of deliveries.
• Additional requirements include an understanding of systems, hardware development, and the associated processes, as well as project management skills including SPI and CPI analysis (earned value).
In addition to hardware engineering related activities, this individual must be able and willing to do the following functions:
• Make assignments of the team members that benefit both the performance goals of the project (short-term) and the interests and career development goals of the individual (likely more long-term). The individual must be both an advocate of the employee and a good steward for the project, and have the ability to balance these two objectives.
• This position will also require planning, organizing, resource allocation, personnel development, performance reviews, salary planning, and overall group management of a communications hardware design group
• Provide the employees with technical mentorship by helping them with both short-term and long-term career development support.
• Give direct and meaningful feedback in real-time and in a constructive manner. • Take action when performance does not match expected standard.
• Be an advocate for resources (equipment, training, etc.) for employees.
Must possess or be eligible for obtaining a U.S. DoD Secret Clearance. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security
Investigation/reinstatement and must meet eligibility requirements.
Must be a U.S. Citizen
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in the appropriate discipline and 8 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 5 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 12 years of relevant experience is required.
Possess strong leadership skills as demonstrated with interpersonal interaction, individual mentoring to develop the team composition, and training. (required)
Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to work well with others in a professional team environment. (required)
Good organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks, while balancing priorities and schedules are important attributes. (required)
Self-starter and have strong analytical skills. (required)
Experience leading a project to successful completion (required)
Demonstrated experience working with customers and engineers (required)
Earned value experience
Practical experience in aspects\phases of hardware development & design
Familiarity with HF, UHF, TTNT, Link-16 or other networking waveforms,
configuration management tools such as Subversion, SEER-H
estimation modeling tools, simulation/schematic/circuit card development tools
experience with bid narrative write-ups
EMI/EMC requirements and design (e.g. crosstalk, impedance matching, emissions, susceptibility)
Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT)
Reliability analysis, and Design to Cost (DTC).
Knowledge of wireless technologies, radio and RF systems development including software defined radios, cognitive radios, spread spectrum techniques, network design, power electronics design and test including magnetics and DC/DC and AC/DC power conversions, and high speed digital design (e.g. above 300 MHz) including FPGA, SoC or DDR memory components is considered a plus.
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
WE ARE REDEFINING AEROSPACE.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
Life insurance and disability coverage
Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
Redbrick - Incentives for a Healthy You
Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
Best Doctors, second opinion program
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link (http://www.rtx.com/privacy/Job-Applicant-Privacy-Notice) to read the Policy and Terms
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Raytheon Technologies Jobs