UnityPoint Health Pharmacy Technician (Part Time) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
The Technician I, under the direct supervision of the pharmacist assists with the provision of quality pharmaceutical services. Foremost among these responsibilities are strictly adhering to detail in the performance of pharmacy procedures, solving practical problems, resolving conflict, and implementing constructive change.
% of Time
· Responsible for receiving, preparation, labeling and distribution of pharmaceuticals; maintenance and filing of associated records; and the preparation and review of patient and departmental drug charges for assigned area of service in accordance with hospital policy and procedures.
· Strictly adheres to quality control processes and procedures and consistently demonstrates attention to detail in following protocol for product preparation and dispensing.
· Maintains knowledge of pharmaceutical terminology, drug dosages, dosage forms and drug names.
· Demonstrates knowledge of computer programs used in the department (e.g. Epic/Hypnos/Kronos). Exhibits the knowledge to troubleshoot common problems with automated dispensing machines.
· Maintain the knowledge and skill set to perform the duties and responsibilities of Omni, Area Check, Premade, and OR technician positions.
· Utilizes reference materials as appropriate.
· Assists in maintaining adequate stocks of pharmaceuticals and supplies through established inventory management procedures, and cost effective utilization. Communicates unusual usage patterns to inventory or supervisory staff.
· Performs pharmacy department area inspections and other cleaning duties as assigned.
· Assists with inventory audits.
· Understands and adheres to all safety practices while performing duties to minimize any risk of injury and/or exposure to hazardous materials.
· Attends in-services, on the job training, and continuing education programs to meet developmental needs, certification requirements, and keep abreast of new technologies.
· Attends at least 75% of required departmental meetings.
· Promotes the development, preparation, implementation and attainment of departmental goals, policies and projects.
· Assists with orientation and on - the - job training of new hires and student shadowing.
· Serves on committees as assigned.
· Completes assignments with minimum supervision and guidance.
· Provides technical leadership, motivation and guidance to peers and other pharmacy staff.
· Communicates with the pharmacist or pharmacy leadership team as necessary when problems or unusual circumstances arise.
· Is responsible for executing and monitoring professional practices in order to meet necessary standards, recommendations and requirements of voluntary and government agencies (i.e. The Joint Commission,, Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners, Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), State Board of Health, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
· Is aware of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Customer Service Support
· Ensures acceptable service level by performing activities in an organized, productive and timely manner.
· Communicates effectively with departmental staff, other hospital staff and customers to provide timely service, accurate information and reduce problems and minimize exceptions.
· Possesses and utilizes excellent telephone manners and rapport.
· Provides answers to questions of routine pharmacy procedures and refers drug information questions to a pharmacist as appropriate.
· Participates in quality improvement activities, including documentation, design, measurement, assessment and formulation of corrective action.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School graduate or certified equivalency (GED) is required.
A.A. or higher education
Previous technician experience is desirable.
Maintain the required registration and certifications as required by the Iowa Board of Pharmacy
Must demonstrate an aptitude and interest in pharmaceutical services.
Must possess excellent communications skills.
Must read, write, and speak fluent English.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Experience with computer systems and medical terminology is desirable
Requisition ID: 2021-96696
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Inpatient Pharmacy
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.6
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Variable Shifts
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org