UnityPoint Health Patient Care Technician-Oncology in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Patient Care Technician (PCT) is responsible for a variety of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and comfort for patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The PCT will report and record observations and contribute to the efficient functionality of the department.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in the plan of care.
· Obtains records and/or accurately enters data into the EMR, as identified in the PCT Scope of Practice. Competency validation and documentation of skill performance is required.
· Performs specific tasks as directed by the RN and other healthcare team members, following competency validation.
· May assist with responsibilities of the Unit Secretary, per department expectations and appropriate competency validation.
· Assist patients with activities of daily living.
· May assist in transporting medications that are not controlled substances from pharmacy delivery devices to medication storage areas on patient care unit, as well as transporting medications from patient care unit to pharmacy.
· Demonstrates an awareness of patient and personal safety.
· Incorporates St. Luke’s Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice Model in their daily care.
· Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills with patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers. Verbal communication is clear and precise. Written communication is legible, if handwritten, and done in a timely manner using approved abbreviations.
· Verbally presents factual, concise, and timely information and/or patient care data to the RN, the healthcare team, patients and/or family members in a professional manner.
· Real-time EMR documentation is done in accordance with hospital and unit policies.
· Hand-offs will be done with attention to detail and with safety as a high priority. Hand-offs are utilized to communicate patient treatment and assessment information, patient education needs, goals of care and other quality care measures at each change of caregiver or setting of care.
· Collaborates with healthcare team to provide patient care.
o Consults with RN and/or other healthcare team members, as appropriate.
o Obtains instruction and supervision, as necessary, when implementing new or unfamiliar tasks or duties.
o Complies with established department routines, policies and procedures.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School diploma or GED
· Completion of a fundamentals course in nursing school
· At least one year of clinical experience
· Maintain current BLS certification
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· C.N.A. or Prepare to Care certificate
· Writes, reads, speaks, and comprehends fluent English
· Be able to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-83184
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Oncology/5 Center
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Every other weekend, rotating between days/evenings + 1-2 evening shifts per week. 16 hours/week.
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org