UnityPoint Health Laboratory Scientist-Non-Credentialed in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The laboratory scientist plays an important role in the lab. The laboratory scientist is the face of the lab interacting with patients and nursing personnel. The laboratory scientist is a Bachelor degreed individual who supports preanalytic, analytic and post analytic laboratory workflows. Responsibilities may include the following: 1) registration; 2) registration/billing work queues; 3) inpatient, outpatient or outreach phlebotomy; 4) sample processing/aliqouting/ accessioning; and 5) CLIA waived and moderate complexity testing. Testing areas may include hematology, chemistry, coagulation, urinalysis, and microbiology.
% of Time
· Greets everyone with a pleasant and professional manner, using patient experience best practice guidelines (AIDET, 5/10 Rule and No-Point, etc).
· Identifies patients and samples using two patient identifiers, always labeling samples in the presence of the patient.
· May perform venous and capillary blood collections independently for patients of all ages within specified safety parameters, timelines and pace.
· Assists with sample transport, receiving, processing, aliqouting, accessioning and delivery of specimens to testing areas.
· Demonstrates knowledge of computer programs for patient identification, registration, registration work queues, order, and sample tracking.
· Utilizes supply items in a cost effective manner, recognizing when to reorder, and assisting with unpacking and/or restocking items.
· Achieves basic understanding of lab tests to answer patient questions in an easy to understand way.
· Performs CLIA waived and moderate complex testing in accordance with manufacturer specifications using good laboratory practice.
· Works closely with MT/MLS/MLT with lab procedures/tests/training
· Works efficiently with the work flow and work load
· Documents routine instrument maintenance
· Troubleshoots and resolves instrument and equipment issues
· Documents, reviews and writes technical procedures for department
· Monitors technical practices to meet necessary standards, recommendations and requirements of voluntary and government agencies (CAP, TJC, CLIA).
· Strong knowledge of computer systems used on analyzers, Sunquest and EPIC
· Appropriate reporting protocols
· Able to review reports for errors
· Understanding of Quality Management system
· Prioritizes work in the best interest of the patient, sharing the work with team members.
· Assists with training new employees and students, being helpful and supportive in their teaching.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Attends department huddles, staff meetings and other required training.
· Checks emails regularly for huddle minutes and important communications relevant to assignment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical or clinical laboratory science or medical technology from an accredited institution
College or post-graduate laboratory experience
Hospital or Reference Laboratory experience
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· Technical Aptitude- ability to learn new systems quickly
· Medical Terminology
· Basic laboratory skills
· Decision making skills
· Planning and Organizing skills
· Problem solving
· Knowledge of Quality Control standards
· Working knowledge of Statistics
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-52288
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN - As Needed
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org