UnityPoint Health RN-Patient Care Practice Development Coordinator (Full-Time) in Anamosa, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Patient Care Practice Development Coordinator assesses, organizes, implements, and evaluates education programming for all Patient Care Services Departments. This position is responsible for the on-boarding of nurses, patient care techs and other frontline staff as well as creating and implementing the nurse residency program. He/she also coordinates the clinical relations for the school of nursing and other educational/simulation programs.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Does not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Is aware of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department management team or hospital compliance officer.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Implements a (centralized) nursing orientation program that meets the needs of new associates, clinical units, and Magnet components.
· Collaborates with nurse managers and leads to improve the quality of unit orientation programs.
· Serves as a liaison with colleges/schools who use Jones Regional Medical Center for students’ clinical practice.
· Coordinates student clinical preceptor experiences.
· Evaluates the effectiveness of educational program/processes.
· Assists in planning and coordinating CEU workshops and self-learning modules in accordance with Iowa Board of Nursing policies.
· Ensures programs requesting nursing continuing education (CEUs) meet Iowa Board of Nursing criteria.
· Participates in and coordinates special projects for Patient Care Departments (i.e., Summer Internship, Preceptor program, and scholarships in conjunction with JRMC Foundation).
· Serves as a resource and facilitator for departments needing assistance with professional practice development/issues.
· Participates in appropriate divisional and hospital committees. This role fits tightly into our safety, quality and patient experience programs.
· Performs other duties as necessary to meet UPH-JRMC mission and strategic plan.
· Plans and conducts on-boarding program for nurses and techs in the Patient Care Departments.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (i.e., Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· Coordinates the simulation program for JRMC. Works with regional educational programs and staff (St. Luke’s)
· Develops and implements a nurse residency program for new nursing graduates.
Development & Patient/Staff Education
· Oversee and facilitates appropriate education/competencies to meet department needs.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance leadership skills/practice and sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and manage teaching strategies appropriate to all customers: age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to help support and provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates and manages workplace safety to preventing errors, accidents and infections; reports/takes action on potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates and holds others accountable for the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance and holds others to the same standard.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position. Ensures that all staff meet the same standard.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, DIA, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year and assures that all staff meet the same standard.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own the Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of accredited Nursing program and bachelor’s degree
MSN preferred in field of specialty
4 years of Leadership/Administration experience.
Strong clinical background with nursing experience in critical care or med/surg nursing
Previous program development experience
Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in Iowa.
Must possess and maintain following:
· Strong organizational skills; self-directed.
· Must possess strong critical thinking skills.
· Verbally presents factual, concise, and timely information to the healthcare team, as appropriate.
· Exercises sound judgment, seeking advice when appropriate.
· Able to handle multiple tasks, cope effectively with stressful situations and time constraints, and organize and prioritize workflow
Knowledge of adult learning principles with experience in teaching individuals and groups.
Strong leadership skills and experience in facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration.
Effective communication and problem-solving skills.
Ability to motivate others as individuals and as a group.
Ability to plan, organize, and direct the activities of others.
Must be able to design and present educational sessions for others.
Ability to build strong, positive relationships within the Division and Hospital.
Must be able to work well with all customers, coworkers, and multidisciplinary team members.
Must demonstrate a cooperative, courteous, and dependable working performance.
Must always possess high integrity and maintain confidentiality.
Must role model communication and team relationship skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2020-84451
Street: 1795 Hwy 64 E
Name: 1050 UnityPoint Health Jones Regional Medical Center
Name: Nursing Unit/Med Surg
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Full Time - 32 Hours Per Week
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org