UnityPoint Health Pharmacy Technician- Retail in Anamosa, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The pharmacy technician assists licensed pharmacists in the practice of pharmacy performing duties such as preparing, filling and labeling medications for patients in Jones Regional Medical Center. The pharmacy technician exemplifies the UnityPoint Health FOCUS values and acts in accordance with Jones Regional Medical Center’s policies and procedures.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements. % of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Assist pharmacist in specific dispensing functions:
Receives and interprets medications orders
Fills automated medication dispensing machines (Omnicell)
• Assume specific inventory responsibilities as directed:
Fill and complete price requisitions for other services and departments
Maintain shelf stock
Check, price and shelve incoming medications and supplies
Code and/or price miscellaneous charges
Enter charges and credits into the computer system
Process invoices and purchase orders
Remove outdated medications from stock on a monthly basis
• Counts, packages and labels unit doses for inspection by the pharmacist and fill routine orders for non-prescription pharmaceuticals
• Able to recognize and identify various classifications of medications, medication names, dosage forms and routes of administration
• Preserve patient confidential information
• Understand the pharmacy workflow for first doses and Omnicell refills
• Understand the pharmacy workflow for medication returns and medication disposal
• Recognize/understand the regulations for repackaging medications and complies with all required labeling and documentation procedures for sterile and non-sterile compounding/packaging
• Assist with intravenous preparation and delivery
• Follows established department policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement programs, safety and infection prevention standards
• Performs other duties as assigned or requested by pharmacist-in-charge
Development & Patient/Staff Education
• Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance leadership skills/practice and sharing knowledge through networking and research.
• Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to help support and provide specialized education.
• Demonstrates and manages workplace safety to preventing errors, accidents and infections; reports/takes action on potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
• Demonstrates and holds others accountable for the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
• Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance and holds others to the same standard.
• Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
• Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
• Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year 10%
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
Foster Unity: • Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
• Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
• Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
• Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
• Enthusiastically engage in our work.
• Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
• Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
Champion Excellence: • Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
• Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
• Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
Seize Opportunities: • Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
• Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
• Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position. Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school graduate or equivalent
One (1) year of hospital pharmacy technician experience or equivalent health-care related practice preferred
Requisition ID: 2020-82433
Street: 1795 Hwy 64 E
Name: 1050 UnityPoint Health Jones Regional Medical Center
Name: Retail Pharmacy
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 32 hours per week, 8:30-5:30 M-F and every other Sat 8:30-noon
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org