Iowa State University Veterinary Technician- ICU Small Animal Overnight in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Veterinary Technician- ICU Small Animal Overnight
Required Minimum Quals:• Associates degree in a veterinary technology program from an accredited institution. • Successful completion of the veterinary technician certification, registration, or license within one year of the start date.
Preferred Qualifications:Experience with medical technical procedures, including IV’s or urinary catheter placement, venipuncture, etc.Laboratory skills including PCV, TP, Chemistries, etc.Experience with equipment monitors (IV pumps, syringe pumps, Pulse Ox, Doppler’s, ECG units, etc.).Experience working with animals in an academic environment (employment, intern)Clinical experience within a veterinary practice and/or research related facility as a veterinary technician, including animal husbandry (overall care, nutrition, etc.)Experience overseeing the work of others
The College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University is accepting applications for Veterinary Technicians- ICU Small Animal at the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center (LVMC). The LVMC provides specialized care and comprehensive medical and surgical services for small animals throughout Iowa and surrounding states. Our clinicians, residents and interns, technicians, staff, and senior veterinary students work in teams to provide 24-hour, state-of-the-art care to animal patients.
Under the supervision of licensed and specialty veterinarians, all veterinary technicians assist with medical procedures, student instruction, equipment management, and provide administrative assistance to veterinary services as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess multi-tasking skills to manage patients and students, demonstrate attention to detail for managing cases, and possess excellent communication skills to effectively interact with patients, clients, referring veterinarians, faculty, interns, and residents, and staff members. Technical skills expected include, but are not limited to, venipuncture, peripheral intravenous catheter placement, performing basic physical exams, knowledge of appropriate species normal vitals, and appropriate animal restraint. Basic abilities to utilize common veterinary equipment such as blood pressure monitors, EKG machines, and gas anesthesia machines are also necessary.
930 pm – 8 am, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists with the instruction and evaluation of veterinary and veterinary technology students.
• In a clinical or classroom setting provides demonstrations in skill areas such as proper medical record-keeping, animal restraint, phlebotomy, intravenous and urinary catheterization, fluid therapy, aseptic technique, anesthetic monitoring, and postoperative care.
• Provides patient care including placing and maintaining catheters, administering fluids, medications, and treatments, removing sutures, and changing dressings.
• Collects, analyzes, and processes samples for research, diagnostic, and clinical purposes.
• Monitors the patient's condition and the effectiveness of medications.
• Provides nursing care, such as monitoring body functions (temperature, respiration, heartbeat, amount and frequency of food consumption, defecation, urination, etc.) and noting abnormalities.
• Performs preparatory procedures on various animal species and assist staff members in surgical and medical procedure preparation, including instrument and supply set up.
• Administers and monitors the patient during the procedure and during patient recovery for vital signs and maintains anesthesia equipment utilized.
• Maintains orderly and sanitary work areas for clinical, teaching, and research facilities.
• Monitors the effectiveness of autoclaves.
• Stocks and organizes the patient exam rooms, treatment areas, holding areas, and operating rooms.
• Enters hospital costs and medical records into the computer in order to create accurate records for billing accounts.
• Sets up, inventories, maintains, secures, and repairs equipment and instruments for surgical procedures, emergencies, and/or lab sessions.
• Monitors the effectiveness of the environmental sanitation program.
• Monitors and reports aberrations in environmental systems as they relate to animal and public health.
• Assists in drafting and evaluating reports of institutional programs (i.e. postoperative care, anesthesia monitoring, and facility maintenance).
• Assist in the use of ultrasound machines, x-rays, MRls, or related equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of animal health and welfare - animal isolation, sample collection, medical treatment, nursing and monitoring, pre & post-surgical requirements including room and supply preparation.
• Knowledge of pharmacology - dosage, calculations, and usage.
• Knowledge of animal husbandry - animal feeding, watering, grooming, handling, safe transporting, and environmental requirements.
• Knowledge of record maintenance - collecting and recording data.
• Knowledge of trimming, clipping, or grooming animals.
• Knowledge of teaching and/or demonstration of safe animal handling.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements (Animal Welfare Act, Public Health Service, etc.).
• Ability to handle, restrain, load, and unload animals.
• Ability to administer medication - topical, injections, oral, and smears.
• Ability to check and interpret vital signs.
• Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull up to 50-70 pounds.
• Ability to instruct and demonstrate veterinary techniques in handling, grooming, and nursing animals.
• Ability to interact with outside clients in a professional capacity.
• Knowledge of computers, computerized medical record systems and word processing software such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:November 18, 2020
Posting Close Date:December 3, 2020
Job Requisition Number:R3628
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation