Iowa State University Animal Caretaker I in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Animal Caretaker I
Required Minimum Quals:• Ability to read, write, and follow instructions. • Possession of a valid state or commercial driver's license, as required.
The College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University is accepting applications for an Animal Caretaker I, Large Animal Care Attendant, in the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center (LVMC). The LVMC provides specialized care and comprehensive medical and surgical services for animals throughout Iowa and surrounding states. Our clinicians, residents and interns, technicians, staff, and senior veterinary students work in teams to provide 24-hour, state-of-the-art care to animal patients.
This position is responsible for providing basic care to the patients in the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center (LVMC) Large Animal Hospital. Duties include providing basic care for large animal hospital patients, cleaning stalls and feeding patients; large animal restraint, cleaning and disinfecting common areas of the hospital and some equipment, and stocking supplies.
The successful applicant will have the ability to stand and walk repetitively; move, push/pull, and/or carry up to 100 lbs., follow and give directions, and be flexible enough to provide guidance and support when requested.
Candidate will provide basic care to hospital patients, perform cleaning and disinfecting of hospital areas, including cages, restock supplies within the hospital and other duties as assigned.
Monday - Friday, 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Feeds and waters animals including the mixing and preparing of feed for standard or special diets.
• Weighs animals, keeping records on weights of feed and animal in coordination with the feeding program.
• Grooms, handles, and restrains animals.
• Cleans and disinfects animal enclosures, isolation rooms, buildings, and equipment, adhering to established policies for maintaining pathogen free environments and containment of animals exposed to infectious diseases.
• Operates mechanical equipment.
• Checks for and reports failures in heating and ventilation systems to supervisor.
• Observes animals for signs of phenotype, illness, injury, or stress.
• Reports observations to supervisor.
• Assists in routine veterinary treatments or restraint of animals.
• Maintains and performs minor repairs to animal equipment, enclosures, and animal facility.
• Reports major building malfunctions to facility supervisor.
• Transports animals, equipment, and supplies using carts or motorized vehicles.
• Helps ensure students maintain the following records: feed, veterinary treatment, animal health status observations, and other record keeping duties as assigned.
• Working in the wet lab as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of standard operating procedures for all patient species in the hospital, as applicable.
• Ability to learn and apply federal, state, and/or university regulations regarding animal care and use in research and teaching.
• Ability to understand, communicate, and execute oral and written instructions.
• Ability to keep accurate records.
• Ability to recognize changes in conditions of animals and animal room environment, malfunctioning equipment, and unsafe conditions.
• Ability to maintain related equipment and facilities.
• Ability to lift and/or move 100 pounds.
• Ability to observe visual cues of animal behavior and react rapidly and appropriately to animal behavior.
• Ability to perform physical labor such as repetitive motions, climbing, reaching restraining animals, loading and unloading supplies and animals, and standing for prolonged periods of time.
• Ability to work around noise, dust, odors, fumes, fractious animals and tolerance for cold and hot environments both indoors and outdoors.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:November 18, 2020
Posting Close Date:November 28, 2020
Job Requisition Number:R3636
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about the application process please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation